WHO?!?!?!

Welcome to Reverend Wayne Austin Goodchild's official blog. Not that there's an unofficial one...

Click WAYNE GOODCHILD IS HAUNTED to go to his Facebook page! There's good stuff on it! Honest!

...all work on here is copyright wayne goodchild, unless otherwise stated, you cheeky monkeys...

Thursday 18 November 2010

NOT MY CUP OF TEA

I'm waist-deep in submissions for A GLITCH IN THE CONTINUUM and I'm quite enjoying it. 'Quite' because I don't like sending out rejections. But, it's a necessary evil. Plus, you can't make an omelette without breaking some heads.

I don't get too bothered by rejections myself nowadays, but I do get a bit cheesed by form rejections. Urgh they're the worst! And they plant the seed of doubt that your story wasn't read all the way through. I understand most places do it because it's one heck of a time-saving device but it's still annoying. I'm trying to offer constructive feedback where possible for Glitch, or at least say what I think does work about a particular story, so writers know I have actually read their story :D and I've read all of them so far, even if I skimmed some a bit (because they didn't grab me) but I say so, if that's the case, and why.

Listen to me; I'm a right hero! I even got paid in cake by a co-worker today because I moved a bunch of tables. If that sort of thing can spill over to my editing duties it'd be pretty nifty ;) but seriously...I've already had some very polite responses from rejected authors, but I don't expect it so it's a nice bonus. I'm still waiting for that one unprofessional writer to send me a vehement email though haha oh dear.

Anyways, I've got quite a few more stories left to read - I plan to send my next batch of rejections out tomorrow, if I have time, otherwise I'll have to do it on Saturday or Sunday night. Keep holding your breath, submitted authors! I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

VRRROOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!

3 comments:

  1. Way to go, Wayne.

    I realize writing individual rejection letters is time-consuming, but writers should appreciate the effort. Feedback on what works and what doesn't in a story should help an author refine his or her writing.

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am one of those eagerly awaiting reply, and I can only say that personalized rejection notes are always a welcome treat. Sure, I'd rather get an acceptance note, but if an editor actually takes the time to write a personal note, telling me what they did and did not like, I treasure that. I'm happy to know that I either have an acceptance or a personalized rejection coming my way from this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it's always awfully nice to know my efforts (such as they are) are appreciated :) I think I'd only send form rejections if I really was swamped with subs, like maybe approaching 200 and I hadn't had the chance to read any before the end of the sub period.

    ReplyDelete